Tuesday

Courage to Venture into the Unknown

In early 1995 I set out to complete the first ever ski crossing of Iceland from west to east coasts. It was a journey that many, including the Icelandic mountain rescue service, deemed an impossible journey due to the extreme rugged terrain and unpredictable weather. The journey was also the first time I had independently managed a ‘large scale’ adventure.

It took two years just to get the project off the ground, initially to convince backers of my ability to manage and lead such an ambitious undertaking and then to obtain permission from the Icelandic authorities who first viewed my quest as being impossible.

From the outset I knew the journey was achievable and I drew on that belief to continually motivate me forwards, despite considerable hurdles. But slowly momentum increased and eventually others came with me.

We succeeded in our venture, completing the crossing of Iceland in forty-seven days. A crossing that even today has not been repeated. The late Diana, The Princess of Wales, sent a personal letter congratulating me on the crossing highlighting courage, preparation, fitness and leadership as key contributors to our success.

Venturing into new territory requires considerable personal courage. The challenge is as much about maintaining your own motivation as you work to convince others around you to take a step with you. But having the courage to take the first step will often be sufficient enough to get the snowball slowly rolling.

Read more about my Icelandic crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment