Monday

Sharing Insights : Dave Pearce

Dave Pearce is a mountaineering instructor, a TV/Film Safety Coordinator, a leadership consultant and professional speaker. His life has been packed full of adventure including working with Bear Grylls on the television series 'Born Survivor' and 'Man Versus Wild', re-enacting Captain Scott’s race to the pole in the television programme 'Blizzard: Race to the Pole'...and scaling some of the largest rock faces in the world - most notably on the 22nd of May 2003 summiting Mount Everest via the challenging and difficult North Face.

It was a summit 'push' that almost failed due to desperate prevailing conditions! Here's what Dave had to say...

Dave, your mountaineering achievements are truly inspiring. We often see mountaineering as an individual adventure, how important was the team?

DP:On Everest I was a member of a great team where everyones interdependence provided the foundation for the confidence we needed to reach the summit in some quite desperate conditions. Having a strong team on a mountain like Mount Everest is key to increasing your chances of not just success, but also survival. The team provided inspiration, support and a collective and measured assessment of the situations we had to face.

Your mountaineering exploits are particularly high risk. How do you approach risk?

DP:I am quite pragmatic about risk, I approach it with measured thought and set of rules and values that I live by; and ultimately, with a strong desire to return home safely to my family. For me reaching the summit of any mountain has always been a bonus.

What do you do when you are not scaling mountains?

DP:I work hard and play hard. When not away I devote much of my time to my wife and three daughters; which in itself an adventure!

To explore more on Dave visit http://www.peakaspirations.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment